Monday, April 25, 2011

Simplicities of Life

I say this alot, but only because it's true. I love my life. The weather today was 70 and sunny and though a good share of the day was given to a very unpleasant event, the remainder of the day was bliss. I called my sister-in-law and asked her if she wanted to "seize the day." "Today?" she asked. "Well, I think that's the only way it works." I told her. "I don't think we can seize tomorrow yet." She agreed and brought her brood over to mingle with mine.

The only thing I love more than a campfire is pancakes over a campfire. They were delicious. I think perhaps if we did all of our cooking outside with one pan, we would all be alot skinnier, just by virtue of how much time elapses between first and second helpings. . . by the time seconds come around, we are no longer hungry. Hm. "The Campfire Diet." It bears pondering.

Anyway, as my sister-in-law and I alternately discussed various things and just stared into the campfire, the children found numerous things to occupy themselves. They have spent so much time together since birth that they function much like a big pack of siblings--although they don't fight as much. We don't have much for toys outside so they invent things to do. Imaginative games are always more amusing anyway, both for the players and the spectators. I am pretty surprised at the things I have had occasion to say to them that I never thought I would. "Don't walk barefoot in the manure." "Don't swing the croquet mallet at your brother's head." "Stop eating the grass. You aren't really a horse." "Don't forget to get your doll down out of the tree." I suppose those corrections are in direct opposition to my previous command to "have fun." Somehow they manage to enjoy themselves in spite of me.

I find myself deeply satisfied and content this night. Life is good. My Savior is risen and walks along beside me. My children are happy. My cup runneth over. All is right with the world.

Somebody remind me of this tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a WONDERFUL feeling that has to be!!! PTL for HIS goodness! Contentment can only come from the Lord! I am waiting for that contentment to come into my life again. I am trying to wait on the Lord to lead on His path to exactly what or when I am to do what next in my life, and if I am already doing it, then to give me that complete contentment again.

Brenda said...

It's moment by moment, just knowing HE has put you right where HE wants you. His will is for you to just bloom where you're planted rather than trying to 'figure out' his will.

Marie said...

Ok, it's cold, gloomy, and raining this morning...I'm reminding you! Seriously, though, I hope that bliss stays with you today. What a blessing that your "out of the mainstream" lifestyle allows you the freedom to take advantage of a beautiful day. I truly believe it pleases the Lord when we take time off work to just apprecate the beauty in this world he has created for us.